The man received the suspended sentence and 150 hours of unpaid community work for carrying out ‘illegal and dangerous’ gas work.
William Saint, 75, from Chelmsford, was hired to install a gas fired boiler to heat a swimming pool at a home on Hall Cut Road, Brightlingsea, on 1 April 2013, even though he was not registered with Gas Safe Register as UK law requires.
Despite making several attempts at installing the boiler, it failed to operate successfully and was deemed to be immediately dangerous when it was later inspected by British Gas.
Colchester Magistrates’ Court heard that despite receiving advice from a Gas Safe Register engineer, Mr Saint failed to rectify all of the faults. The installation was classed as ‘at risk’ by Gas Safe Register and the matter was passed to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which prosecuted Mr Saint for safety failings. He was given a four-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, as well as 150 hours of unpaid community work after pleading guilty to three separate breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was also ordered to pay costs of £850.
After the case, HSE Inspector Vicky Fletcher, said: “William Saint was well aware that he should be registered with Gas Safe Register in order to carry out gas work, yet he still chose to flout the law.
“People can die as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning and gas explosions. It is therefore vital that only registered gas engineers, who are trained and competent, work on gas appliances and fittings.”
For further information, visit the website: www.hse.gov.uk/gas