It happens every year – when the temperatures start to tumble, many an appliance is switched on only to fail, or even lead to serious problems, such as carbon monoxide poisoning.
When editing a well known heating and plumbing magazine back in the 1980s, the same messages went out on the same subjects. Returning to the sector recently, it is sad that we have yet to really get to rectify those headaches – namely, draught, condensation and mould in properties.
The recent Energy Saving Trust (EST) findings make for depressing reading which viewers can see in this section. Of householders responding, 44% claim to live in homes with draught problems, 38% in homes with condensation problems and 29% in homes with mould. All three issues were even higher among renters.
The EST estimates that an incredible £5 billion is wasted by lack of proper energy saving knowledge and effective measures by householders to rectify the problems.
In the most extreme example of carbon monoxide poisoning, we are likely to see a spurt in this area which the UKLPG warned recently.
The UK has trailed behind other countries in this aspect of living in comfortable and safe homes and premises. Yet, almost in contradiction to this, we have a health and safety regime that seems to be working when it comes to dealing with the matter in the workplace, despite a steady flow of court cases that we report on.
You would think that when it comes to comfort and safety at home, this would have greater prominence but maybe the phlegmatic nature of the nation has an influence, especially when you see the collective shrug of the shoulders when the evenings draw in and the trains bosses start issuing their usual feeble excuses for why they have failed to deliver on punctuality when the first flakes of snow drop on the lines.
Caption The usual advice to avoid draughty and other unpleasant problems in our properties, occur every year and still are not really dealt with.