Advertise with MyTradeTV! Promote your content! Please contact us on 01924 918171

563026

Poisoning Almost Kills

Landlords in court after carbon monoxide poisoning

 

Two Bolton landlords have been fined after a four-month-old baby and both his parents were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mr and Mrs Mehboob and Suraiya Bobat were prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an investigation found four gas appliances at a property on Bowness Road were unsafe, and that they had failed to arrange an annual gas safety check as the law requires.

Trafford Magistrates’ Court heard a couple, who have asked not to be identified, began renting the two-bedroom terraced house in February 2013, three months before their baby was due.

Towards the end of the month, the expectant mother began to suffer headaches, palpitations and had difficulty breathing. She was taken into hospital for several days, with doctors assuming her symptoms were linked to her pregnancy. Her husband also started to suffer from severe headaches and was given codeine by his GP.

Later in the year, on 21 August, the couple were both at home in the afternoon looking after their four-month-old son. He had been crying all day and they were concerned that he was unwell.

The baby’s father also started to suffer with a very bad headache shortly before his wife began to feel dizzy and collapsed on the kitchen floor. Her husband called for an ambulance and all three members of the family were treated in hospital overnight for high levels of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The HSE investigation found a gas-powered water heater in the kitchen should only have been used for a maximum of five minutes at a time as it did not have a flue. However, it was connected to the washing machine as well as the kitchen sink and had begun to emit high levels of carbon monoxide due to its overuse.

The heater was classified as ‘immediately dangerous’ by a gas engineer, along with a gas heater in the front bedroom. A gas fire in the lounge and gas boiler in the kitchen were also found to be ‘at risk’ of causing carbon monoxide poisoning.

The court was told that Mr and Mrs Bobat were asked to provide a copy of the latest Gas Safety Certificate to prove a registered gas fitter had inspected the property in the past year, but they admitted they did not have one.

Mehboob Bobat and Suraiya Bobat were each sentenced to 80 hours of community service with unpaid work  and each ordered to pay prosecution costs of £720 after pleading guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.  They were also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £60.

“A young couple and their baby son were needlessly made ill for several months because Mr and Mrs Bobat failed in their legal duties as landlords to arrange an annual gas safety check,” said Mike Sebastian, HSE Principal Inspector, peaking after the hearing. “It’s shocking that all four of the gas appliances in the property had the potential to cause carbon monoxide poisoning. If the baby’s father hadn’t acted quickly to call an ambulance when he wife collapsed then the effects could easily have been fatal.”

 

Caption            A court case in Bolton has highlighted the near fatal consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning

Leave A Comment

4 + fourteen =

  • Access Control
  • Advice
  • Advice & Tips
  • Air Conditioning
  • ALEX Expo
  • Aluminium
  • Aluminium Windows
  • Appointments
  • Appointments
  • Appointments
  • Architects & Specifiers
  • Architecture
  • Associations & Regulators
  • Auto Locksmith
  • Auto Locksmith Tools
  • Auto Locksmith Tools
  • Auto Locksmith Training
  • Awards
  • Awards
  • Awards
  • Blinds
  • Blinds
  • Boilers (Service & Repair)
  • Building
  • Carousel 1 Category
  • Case Studies
  • Casement Windows
  • CCTV
  • CE Marking
  • Certification
  • Charity
  • Colour Coating
  • Colour Coating & Foiling
  • Competitions
  • Composite Doors
  • Conservatories
  • Conservatories & Orangeries
  • Conservatory Roofs
  • Construction Consumer Advice
  • Consumables
  • Consumer News Glazing
  • Cylinders
  • Decorative Glass
  • Decorative Glass
  • Demolition
  • DGCOS News
  • Diagnostics
  • Digital locks
  • Door Hardware
  • Door Hardware
  • Doors
  • Drainage
  • Editor's Corner
  • Energy Efficient Windows
  • Energy Saving
  • Events-Exhibitions & Associations
  • Exhibitions
  • Exhibitions & Associations
  • Fabricators
  • Featured
  • Fensa News
  • Fensterbau 2014
  • Fire Proof Glass
  • FIT Show 2016
  • Foiling
  • Folding/Sliding Doors
  • Furniture
  • G13 Awards
  • G14 Awards
  • Gas
  • Genaeral
  • General
  • General
  • General Locksmith Tools
  • General News
  • General News
  • General news
  • General news
  • GGF
  • GGF News
  • Glass
  • Glazing
  • glazing
  • Glazing Consumer Advice
  • GQA Qualifications
  • Green Deal
  • Guest Blogs
  • Hardware
  • Hardware
  • Hardware
  • Health & Safety
  • Health & Safety
  • Health & Safety
  • Health & Safety
  • Health & Safety
  • Heating Spares & Controls
  • Helen Duval
  • Home Improvement
  • IGU Manufacturing
  • Installers
  • Insulation
  • Interactive magazines
  • Interactive magazines
  • Interactive Magazines
  • Interactive News/Mags
  • Key Cutting
  • Key Cutting Machinery
  • Key Cutting Machines
  • Keys/Fobs & programming
  • Kitchens & Bathrooms
  • Lead Generation
  • Lock Cases
  • Lock Expo 2015
  • Lock Expo 2015
  • Lock Safes
  • Locksmith
  • Locksmith Consumer Advice
  • Locksmith Profiles
  • Locksmith Tools
  • Machinery
  • Marketing
  • Marketing – Installers
  • Marketing – Manufacturing
  • Mechanical Access
  • MLA Expo 2015
  • MLA Expo 2015
  • Mortice
  • MyTradeTV Blogs
  • Newsletter Left
  • Newsletter Right
  • Newsletters
  • NFA Awards
  • NFA Awards 2014
  • NFA Awards 2015
  • Online Ordering
  • Online ordering
  • Orangeries
  • Padlock
  • Panel
  • PHEX – Alexandra Palace
  • PIGS
  • Piping
  • Plumbing
  • Plumbing & Heating
  • Podcasts
  • Profiles
  • Pumps & Filters
  • PVCu
  • Safes
  • Safety Glass
  • Sash Windows
  • Solar
  • Solar Controlled Glass
  • Sound Reduction Glass
  • spacer/warmedge
  • Spares & Repairs
  • Spares & Repairs
  • Speciality Glass
  • Sustainable Building
  • Talking Points
  • Team Blogs
  • Testing
  • TGQ
  • The Fit Show 2014
  • Timber
  • Timber Windows
  • Tools
  • Tools
  • Tools & Power Tools
  • Tools & Power Tools
  • Tools & Power Tools
  • Toughened Glass
  • Trade Association News
  • Trade Associations
  • Trade Counters
  • Trade Info
  • Training Centres
  • Transport
  • Transport
  • Transport
  • Transport
  • Triple Glazing News
  • UAP/Tradelocks
  • UAP/Tradelocks.
  • UK Construction Week
  • Uncategorized
  • UPVC Windows
  • Van Security
  • Van Security
  • Ventilation
  • Video News
  • Videos
  • Water Treatment/Waste Management
  • Web Design
  • Web Design & SEO
  • Web Design & SEO
  • Window Hardware
  • Window Hardware
  • Windows
  • Channel Selector
    Your default channel is: Glazing
    Tune in to Other Channels:
    Glazing
    Locksmith
    Plumbing & Heating
    Kitchens & Bathrooms