Self-employed builder guilty of installation of a wall-mounted gas boiler despite not being Gas Safe Registered
Jason Sapsford, from East Barnet, was prosecuted after inspections carried out by both British Gas and Gas Safe classified the installation as being ‘At Risk’, indicating that the system, in its current state, had the potential to put both life and property at risk.
Colchester Magistrates’ Court heard that Sapsford was contracted to remove a gas boiler from the premises on Wyndham Crescent, Clacton-on-Sea, and install a wall mounted gas boiler in its place. However, immediately following installation, the system repeatedly broke down.
The householder was left with holes to an exterior wall, no room-control thermostat and other electrical faults. Furthermore, a user manual was not supplied and during the course of the installation, Sapsford stripped the premises of its copper pipework, replacing it with plastic piping which was badly fitted, inappropriate for its intended use and which subsequently leaked.
The householder was faced with costs of around £2,500 to replace the pipe-work and install a room thermostat.
Jason Sapsford, trading at the time as New Look Builders, of Woodfield Drive, East Barnet, Herts, was fined a total of £2,000, ordered to pay costs of £2,252 and victim compensation of £2,285, after pleading guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
“This gas work was carried out by an unregistered and incompetent individual who was prepared to put life and property at risk for the sake of quick profit,” explained Paul Grover, HSE Inspector, after the case. “People can die as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. Sapsford’s actions were callous and uncaring and he showed little or no concern for the difficulties experienced by the householders, or the danger his handiwork presented to the general public.”
Caption Colchester Magistrates’ Court where Jason Sapsford, a self-employed builder, was found guilty of the installation of a wall-mounted gas boiler despite not being Gas Safe Registered.